Monday, June 13, 2011

Quo Vadis?

I haven't read the book, and I haven't seen the movie, but when I read the legend, Quo Vadis?, I was moved. Especially in light of two recent “prophetic” messages telling Christians they/we are about to escape the world's troubles or to flee a coming earthquake on the West Coast. The world is deeply troubled, by natural disasters and by human caused calamities. What is the response of followers of Jesus the Christ? To escape? To proclaim judgment? To offer a way out? Or, to enter the world, as Jesus did, love it, serve it, and take whatever comes? I will stay, and each day I try to turn my attention to loving all I meet and to offering whatever service I am able. Usually it is not much, and never (yet) has it brought death.

Here is the legend, taken from The Acts of Peter, "The Apocryphal New Testament" M.R. James-Translation and Notes Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1924.

XXXV. And as they considered these things, Xanthippe took knowledge of the counsel of her husband with Agrippa, and sent and showed Peter, that he might depart from Rome. And the rest of the brethren, together with Marcellus, besought him to depart. But Peter said unto them: Shall we be runaways, brethren and they said to him: Nay, but that thou mayest yet be able to serve the Lord. And he obeyed the brethren's voice and went forth alone, saying: Let none of you come forth with me, but I will go forth alone, having changed the fashion of mine apparel.

And as he went forth of the city, he saw the Lord entering into Rome. And when he saw him, he said: Lord, whither goest thou thus (or here) And the Lord said unto him: I go into Rome to be crucified. And Peter said unto him: Lord, art thou (being) crucified again He said unto him: Yea, Peter, I am (being) crucified again. And Peter came to himself: and having beheld the Lord ascending up into heaven, he returned to Rome, rejoicing, and glorifying the Lord, for that he said: I am being crucified: the which was about to befall Peter.

XXXVI. He went up therefore again unto the brethren, and told them that which had been seen by him: and they lamented in soul, weeping and saying: We beseech thee, Peter, take thought for us that are young. And Peter said unto them: If it be the Lord's will, it cometh to pass, even if we will it not; but for you, the Lord is able to stablish you in his faith, and will found you therein and make you spread abroad, whom he himself hath planted, that ye also may plant others through him. But I, so long as the Lord will that I be in the flesh, resist not; and again if he take me to him I rejoice and am glad.

And while Peter thus spake, and all the brethren wept, behold four soldiers took him and led him unto Agrippa. And he in his madness commanded him to be crucified on an accusation of godlessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment